Hodgkin's Disease

Lymphoma, better known as Hodgkin's Disease, is a condition characterized by the presence of Reed-Sternberg cells. In addition to Hodgkin's, there are many other lymphoma diseases which are known as Non-Hodkin's lymphoma. Non-Hodgkin lymphoma incidences become more and more common with age, whereas Hodkin's lymphoma is common between ages 16 and 35, and over 50.

The most common sign of Hodgkin's lymphoma is swollon lymph nodes, mainly in the neck. This is not painful, however some of the other expected symptoms are. These other symptoms are unexplained weight loss, constant fatigue, itchy skin, low grade fevers, and night sweats. As these are common symptoms of any infection, the only accurate diagnosis is through lymph node biopsy and blood testing.

Unlike Hodgkin's lymphoma, Non-Hodgkin's lymphoma is a type of cancer. In the united states, 5% of cancer victims are due to Non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. Signs of this disease are similar to that of Hodgkin's, with a few differences. As well as in the neck, swollon lymph nodes are common in the underarm and groin. And in addition to itchy skin, patients will notice unexplained red patches.

Non-Hodgkin's lymphoma must be tested for as well, using things such as X-rays, MRI's, CT scans, PET scans, and Lymphangiogram, which are pictures of the lymphatic system taken with x-rays after a dye is injected to differentiate the lymph nodes and vessels. These tests are due to the simple fact that the symptoms are common in many other, less critical, conditions.

Feel free to reprint this article as long as you keep the article, this caption and author biography in tact with all hyperlinks.

Tyler Brooker is the owner and operator of Lymphoma Disease - http://www.lymphoma-disease.com, which is the best site on the internet for all lymphoma related information.


Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Tyler_Brooker

5 Comments:

Blogger stepper motor said...

Hi,
Nice info there. I also got an information about mesothelioma cancer which I think you should really take a look at it. Just for information kindly visit http://the-mesothelioma-info.blogspot.com

11:10 PM  
Blogger Arjuna Studio said...

Nice site...
Thats look like I must be come again...

good job..

skin care

5:07 AM  
Blogger beedotmy said...

My Mommy’s Stroke and Me

Advertising Disclaimer

by: Kenya on Wed, Nov 05 2008

All my life it’s just been my Mom and I. She raised me as a single parent and with the help of my maternal grandmom during life’s main events such as going to college and high school stuff. My Mom is my rock, my life, my first and only love.

On Monday, October 27, 2008 at 12:22PM, my Mom suffered an ischemic stroke (TIA). I must tell you that at 12:15PM my Mom and I were on the phone together laughing and talking about food, family and the upcoming holidays. When I received that dreadful phone call from my cousin that he had dialed 911 for my Mom, I was in shock. I panicked and became very scared. Everyone (family, friends, neighbors, my co-workers et al) knows how close I am to my Mom so yes this incident has devastated me tremendously. My Mom was rushed to the hospital where I met her as I was working from home that day.

When I got to the hospital’s ER room, I jumped out of my car, left it parked in a bad zone and ran immediately to the ambulance. The ambulance carrying my Mom was immediately behind me as we both pulled into the ER. When I first saw my Mom, she was crying profusely, shaking, scared, weary, tired and her mouth was twisted and her words were very slurred. I kept telling her I love her and to calm down. She just kept telling me that she didn’t want to die. I am an only child and at that moment my whole life just flashed by me.

I have no one. My grandmom died of a stroke in 2003 with complications from Lung Cancer and Heart Disease. I have aunts and uncles and cousins but no one who I felt would really be there for me and Mom. During my Mom’s first few days at the hospitla, her progress was very slow. Many prayers were sent our way from friends and family, and I prayed so much to God that I drained myself.

After the first few days, my Mom started looking and getting better, a bit stronger. She was determined not to let this stroke take her down. She told me this. She said that she would fight this and walk again and talk again and drive. I told her absolutely. She is strong and a survivor. After the first week at the hospital my Mom had progressed so they transferred her to a rehabilitation center for a week or two. During her stay at the rehab center, she received OT, PT, and Speech Therapy. I prayed for my Mom to get better and I prayed for her roommate Ms Betty who had had a bad stroke and wasn’t able to do much for herself.

My Mom’s stroke has taught me so much. I am now regaining my strength back to take care of her when she comes home. My job was fortunate enough to allow me to work from home a few days out of the week (this was appreciated but even if it didn’t work out that way, I would have stepped out on faith and left my job to take care of my Mom). She has always been there for her little girl, and now it is my time to stand up and take care of her. This is going to be a long ride for the both of us. My life has changed too as a result of my Mom’s stroke.

I am 38 years old and proud to say that I stand in this with many people who have also experienced a loved one having a stroke. My heart goes out to all of you. Please be strong, change your lifestyle if necessary, eat right, work out, do not smoke, limit your alcohol intake or don’t drink at all. And most importantly, always take your medications. I must say that today my Mom is still in rehab but she is doing great and through the grace of God, I believe that she will pull through this physiclaly, emotionally, and spiritually. Onec again, to all my family, friends, co-workers, and neighbors who have sent bounds of prayers, I thank you wholeheartedly.

Thanks, Kenya

12:33 AM  
Blogger ader45 said...

Hodhgkin cancer if untreatd early could prove fatal. check with your doctor..

Regards,

I love to travel to Cameron Highland Apartment

7:59 PM  
Blogger ader45 said...

how can hodgkin disease be cured... :-(


he quest for Bintan Lagoon Resort – 5 Star Quality Resort is easy
.

8:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home